Frequently Asked Conventional Non-Public School Questions - School Code Numbers

< Return to Frequently Asked Conventional Non-Public School Questions

Are there any government ID numbers which I must obtain for my new school?

Yes.  You must obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) by going to the US Internal Revenue Service web site and clicking there first on "Businesses"; then on "Starting a Business"; and then on "Employer Identification Number." 

You may apply there on line for an EIN.  In addition, you must obtain a "Withholding Identification Number" from the North Carolina Department of Revenue, P.O. Box 25000, Raleigh, NC  27640. 

Their telephone number in Raleigh is (877) 252-3052.

Also, see the third and fourth questions below

Does DNPE issue a school code number after a non-public school files its Notice of Intent with DNPE?

No,  no school code numbers are issued or used by DNPE.  All non-public schools are referenced only by the non-public school's name. 

If your non-public school is completing a form from some local, state or federal government agency asking for your school code number, simply enter on that line the word "Non-Public" instead of entering a school code number. 

School code numbers are issued to non-public schools by standardized testing companies for students wishing to register for their college entrance or scholarship tests. 

See the next question for more information.

How can a non-public school obtain a school code number so its students can register for the various college entrance and college scholarship tests?

By the non-public school chief administrator (or his/her designee) contacting each of the test companies individually and requesting from them a school code number. 

He/she can obtain contact information for the test companies by simply clicking on the names of the tests which follow: ACT, PSAT/NMSQT and on SAT.

What is an NCES number and how does a non-public school acquire one?

The US Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) issues this number to all non-public schools which voluntarily participate in its annual Public School Universe Survey (PSS).

A NCES non-public school number is assigned when it is first included in the Private School Universe Survey. Schools wishing to participate in future surveys may click here to complete and file the form to request to be included in the next PSS data collection.