Frequently Asked Home School Questions - Student Transcripts & Records

< Return to Frequently Asked Home School Question Topics

Attendance recordkeeping forms -- How can they be acquired?

The form is available for downloading by clicking here.

Also, see the third question on this page.

Do the North Carolina General Statutes require that non-public school student attendance records be made available for inspection by DNPE?

Yes.  G.S. 115C-564 requires home schools to elect to operate under either Part 1 or Part 2 of Article 39 and then to meet the requirements of that elected Part (with a few stated exceptions). 

Both G.S. 115C-548 and G.S. 115C-556 require that each non-public school ". . . shall make and maintain annual attendance and disease immunization records for each pupil enrolled."  

In addition, G.S. 115C-549 and G.S. 115C-557 both require the making and maintaining of nationally standardized test result records for each enrolled student.  G.S. 115C-553, G.S. 115C-561 and G.S. 115C-563(b) empowers DNPE to ". . . inspect certain records under this Part . . ." (implying more than one, but not all three types). 

G.S. 130A-155(b) empowers state and local health inspectors to review the student immunization records.  

If the North Carolina General Assembly had intended to limit DNPE's record inspection authority to only one type of student record (test result records), it would have simply used the word "test" in lieu of the word "certain" in G.S. 115C-553 and G.S. 115C-561.  It intended that a government official inspect the student attendance records; otherwise, the requirement would not have been listed. 

Since its inception in 1961, DNPE has been authorized to inspect non-public school student attendance records.  The State of North Carolina has a long-standing legal requirement for non-public schools to "render" student attendance records for compulsory attendance enforcement inspection purposes dating as far back as 1925.  

Today, the inspection of home school student attendance records is especially vital in determining if the home school is "operating on a regular schedule . . . during at least nine calendar months" each year as required by G.S. 115C-548 and G.S. 115C-556

Also, see the next question.

Must home schools use the student attendance recordkeeping form provided by DNPE?

No.  The law does not mandate that a particular form be used for student attendance recordkeeping. 

However, for efficiency, uniformity and simplicity reasons, DNPE strongly recommends the use of its student attendance record form.  In annually reviewing several thousand attendance records, the use of this form expedites the review process, thus freeing up extra time for the DNPE staff to respond to incoming telephone calls, etc.

Must student academic and attendance records be obtained from the previously attended school?

No. such student records are not needed from the conventional school which the student previously attended. The only student record needed to begin the new home school is the student's immunization record.

Who designs, provides & retains the student transcript for home schooled students?

The home school parent/guardian who serves as the chief administrator of the home school. 

Whenever a formerly home schooled student is presented for enrollment at a conventional school (public or non-public) or college, that educational institution will probably request a student transcript/record of grade levels successfully completed, subjects taught, semester grades, nationally standardized test scores, etc., while enrolled in the home school. 

All such information is provided solely by the parent/guardian -- not by state or local government officials. North Carolina law states that a home school is a non-public school. When a student successfully completes his/her non-public school's academic requirements for high school graduation, the non-public school itself (not a government agency) maintains academic records of the student's high school academic work and issues student transcripts and graduation verifications in future years as requested. State government provides no student graduation verifications for non-public school graduates (whether from a private K-12 or a home school) nor does it maintain or keep student academic records or transcripts -- only records concerning the legal existence of such schools.  

For this reason, chief administrators of home schools, which have graduated high school seniors, are strongly encouraged to permanently retain student transcripts reflecting all of the student's grade 9-12 academic work on one or two pages.  The page(s) should include:  The home school's name, address and telephone number; titles of subjects completed by the student by school year (for each of those four years); the numerical (or letter) grade and unit credit earned for each subject; annual nationally standardized test scores; and, the month and year of high school graduation. 

If the student is academically gifted and has successfully mastered some traditional high school level courses prior to grade 9, those courses should be so noted on the transcript as having been taken in grade 8, 7, etc., since the student will probably be going on to college. 

In most conventional schools, a unit credit is given for successful completion of each subject which involved at least 150 clock hours of academic instruction over the school year. 

Remember that the student may need a copy of his/her high school transcript many years after graduation - perhaps even after the home school administrator has deceased.

Who provides verification of student enrollment, attendance and graduation from a home school?

The home school parent/guardian who serves as the chief administrator of the home school.  No state or local government agency maintains or provides such information.

If the home school administrator is no longer able to provide this verification, the home school graduate should consider either obtaining a GED; or, enrolling in the North Carolina Adult High School Diploma Program administered through a local NC Community College.

Also, see "Who designs, provides & retains the student transcript" as well as "Who provides diplomas for home schooled students."

^ Return to the Top